The answer to the above question is obviously YES! But knowing how to get rid of head lice fast comes with a heavy responsibility and commitment on your part.
This article will show and present to you simple but effective head lice remedies and prevention.
What You Should Know About Head Lice
As you may probably know prior to this time, one of head lice signs is great itching which makes you scratch your hair and head excessively and embarrassingly well.
Head lice also known as lice of the head affects especially people in the tropics. The fact can be seen as people in the tropics reports the highest casualties of this dreaded disease.
Besides head lice, two other lice varieties are common to man: body lice and pubic lice. The pubic louse, which is transmitted through intimate sexual contact, is found in coarse hair in the pubic area, under armpits, in beards and mustaches, and occasionally in eyelashes. It is shorter and shaped like a small crab, hence its nickname, the crab louse.
The body louse, unlike the head and pubic lice, does not live on people. It lives in garments close to the skin and crawls onto the body to feed. The body louse is widespread among people exposed to overcrowded and unclean conditions. In times past it has been a carrier of a number of diseases, including typhus, trench fever, and relapsing fever, but these pestilences are rarely spread by head lice today.
From Head Lice to Dead Lice – Effective Head Lice Treatment
The primary symptom of head lice infestation is itching. The bite of the head louse is irritating to the scalp, causing itching and occasionally redness. So follow the below suggestions to really know you to get rid of head lice fast and easy, including modern ways of treating it:
- Be suspicious if you see your child scratching his head frequently. Careful inspection requires bright light and a magnifying glass. Since the louse is quite mobile and readily avoids detection, look for its eggs (nits), which are firmly attached to the hair close to the scalp. The nit ranges from light yellow to tan in color. Dermatologists have identified at least 12 conditions that are commonly mistaken for infestation with nits. Therefore, use the magnifying glass for a thorough inspection of the head. Concentrate around the ears and the nape of the neck.
- If either lice or nits are found, treatment with a special shampoo, cream, or lotion (pediculicide) will kill head lice. (Discussed below)
- Even more effective is shaving the head. Some have also found that applying a small amount of kerosene to the scalp for 15 to 20 minutes will kill both lice and nits. Care, however, should be exercised, since kerosene may cause local irritation, and if it gets in the eyes, it can be painful. Kerosene can also be toxic if inhaled, and it will catch fire if near a flame.
NOTE: The use of kerosene IS NOT an effective way to get rid of head lice fast. Please I would advise you go see your physician or a qualified dermatologist. However, you may not use this option as I consider it backdated. Most modern practices do not support this idea. So please thread with caution.
- Important too is the treatment of bedding, clothing, and other personal articles. Wash and then dry them in a hot dryer for at least 20 minutes to kill the lice along with the nits. Vacuum mattresses, upholstered furniture, and other items that is not washable in order to get rid of all living nits and especially head lice.
- Wash your Hair Well – Apply permethrin Lotion:
Permethrin lotion comes as a 1% solution containing pyrethrin an extract from pyrethrum plants. It works well for all kinds of head lice as is safer than Gamma benzene hexachloride (lindane).
Without adding any water, apply the liquid to dry hair until it is completely wet. (Do not use on eyebrows or eyelashes). Wait no longer than 10 minutes, wash hair until it is completely wet. Wash the hair with warm water and soap or shampoo. Repeat the process in a week time. Remember to change clothing and bedding after treatment.
NOTE: I highly recommend this, it helps a lot. And it rightfully answers the question being raised, that is: how to get rid of head lice fast.
- Lindane Water Shampoo:
As an alternative make shampoo of lindane, water and soap (1 part lindane to 10 parts water). Wash hair being careful not to get lindane in the eyes. Then leave the lather for 17 minutes, and then rinse well with pure and clean water. After that, repeat a week later.
To get rid of nits (Lice eggs), soak hair with hot vinegar water for half an hour, then comb thoroughly with fine-toothed comb.
Head lice can be curable if adequate and consistence effort is made on your part. Maintaining a series of constant medication will not only help you get rid of head lice but can also help you get rid of other diseases.
Treatment is an involved process, but it is necessary in order to prevent the perpetuation of lice in your family.
How to Prevent Head Lice
Although it is not possible to be immune to the infestation of lice, you can greatly reduce the likelihood of contracting them by following a few simple guidelines:
- Take great care with personal cleanliness. You know what that means. Making sure your underwears are properly catered for regularly.
- Put baby cots, your pillows, and your beddings in the sun for at least twice a week.Why this is very necessary is because sun can destroy many unseen germs. Never dry your underwear, pillows or/and beddings indoors, it can be very dangerous. There may be unseen germs that may not go out.
- Bath and wash hair often using natural head lice shampoo. Head lice shampoo varies, so you need choose the best.
- Check your children’s hair regularly. If you notice they have head lice, treat them once. This is especially important because your children’s health is vital to your happiness as a parent. Children are much more prone to this infection than we adults. And if you fail to do so, it may grow to even more debilitating ailments.
- Do not let a child with the infection to sleep with other members of the family.
This is no joke because since this infection is viral, it can spread rapidly. The best way to do so is to quarantine that child (if possible). Let him stay on his own until the infection is over.
Make sure you confirm that the infection is over and even if it is over still allow a day or two to pass before letting him sleep or do normal things with other members of the family.
- To prevent the spread of head lice infections, everyone infested should receive treatment at the same time. So check the entire family before beginning treatment. Pediculicides do not always kill nits attached to the hair. Any remaining eggs will hatch within seven to ten days, so a second treatment with the pediculicide may be necessary to kill any surviving lice.
A note of caution: All Pediculicides contain small amounts of insecticide that if improperly used, may produce serious side effects. Therefore, carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
If Pediculicides are not available in your area, alternate methods of treatment may be used. Many authorities recommend removing the nits with a special fine-tooth comb. In addition, the medical textbook Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy suggests: “The cement holding nits to the hair shaft may be dissolved with vinegar compresses applied to the hair for 15 minutes.”
- Encourage your children to avoid sharing combs, brushes, and other personal items that can easily transmit lice. If possible, have your children sleep in separate beds. Keep long hair in braids or a ponytail to help reduce head-to-head contact. And finally, if your child does get lice, don’t panic. Pediculosis is rarely a serious affliction. It’s also very common and one of the best-kept secrets in town.
Video on Head Lice Treatment
This below video shows the best way you can use to cure head lice. Enjoy!
The above treatment procedures will surely help do away with this unfriendly skin infection.
Now you’ve known how to get rid of head lice. It is now up to you to take action.
Thanks for reading this article on killing head lice.
Bye for Now! – Learn more about me